Let’s hope we hear more news about a Flecktones reunion sooner rather than later! It’s been more than three years since Béla Fleck & The Flecktones went on hiatus after a 24-year run, but now it looks as though that break might be coming to an end.Flecktones fan Connor Clay posited the question to Fleck and Flecktones bassist Victor Wooten on Twitter if there was any chance the group would be getting back together for a tour. Fleck’s response is music to our ears. Check out the interaction below:
While the chances of a Pink Floyd reunion remain much closer to 0% than 1%, the rock ‘n’ roll vets are determined to ease the quarantine blues. The band has uploaded Live at Pompeii to YouTube today, which will be available to stream for 24 hours only.Related: New Jersey Police Shut Down Pink Floyd Tribute Concert, Charge Musician For Disobeying Coronavirus LockdownOn April 16th, the band announced a weekly YouTube concert series which will see Pink Floyd share unseen, rare, and archived vault material for free over the coming weeks. Pulse, which features Floyd’s 1995 performance at London’s Earls Court, saw a 24-hour release last week, while the legendary October 1971 performance at an empty ancient Roman amphitheater in Pompeii, Italy gets the call this week.The film will appear as it did in Pink Floyd’s The Early Years box set from 2016 and will stream until tomorrow, April 25th, at 12:00 p.m. ET. During the performance, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason run through songs like “Echoes”, “A Saucerful of Secrets”, “One of These Days”, and more. Enjoy a momentary escape from quarantine and transport yourself to Pompeii below.Pink Floyd – Live at Pompeii[Video: Pink Floyd]As a followup to Live at Pompeii, next week Pink Floyd will stream their 1970 performance at KQED Studios in San Fransisco, CA. Head to the band’s website for the latest stream information.
Saint Mary’s sophomore Natalie Schultz said while the Irish did not reign victorious on Saturday, they did win the battle of the uniforms. “After they scored the last touchdown I gave up,” Schultz said. “Our helmets looked fantastic though compared to Stanford’s black ones, we just need to match up the pants to the helmets.” Schultz watched the game in her friend’s dorm room at Saint Mary’s. “My friends and I were so sad after the game, we actually began to watch ‘Twilight,’” Schultz said. The Irish football team closed out their regular season on a sour note, losing 28-14 at Stanford on Saturday. Freshman Sean Hamilton, a northern California native, cheered on the Irish at Stanford Stadium and noticed a prominent showing of Notre Dame fans. “About a quarter of the stadium were Notre Dame fans,” Hamilton said. “Pretty impressive considering Stanford set the record for amount of fans at their stadium.” Hamilton said the field conditions seemed horrible from his perspective in the stands. “The field was awful and looked to be really slippery,” Hamilton said. Hamilton said the outcome of the bowl game would largely rely on the opponent selected. “We play pretty consistently, we just need to see how it stacks up against the other team,” Hamilton said. “We always seem to make the same mistakes.” Saint Mary’s sophomore Jessica Carter said she thought the play of the Irish was terrible. “I thought we could have played a lot harder than we did,” Carter said. “I was really happy when Coach Kelly put in [Andrew] Hendrix because I felt like [Tommy] Rees was having a bad day. He just was not there.” Carter said she watched the game at home in South Bend with her family. She said she thinks the Irish have a good chance of winning their bowl game. “I hope we can play better,” Carter said. “The defense is doing better but I think we need to shape up our offense by giving the ball to [Michael] Floyd more.” Senior Julie Hyppolite chose not to watch the final regular season game of the year. “I was at a surprise birthday party for a family friend who turned 50, but was not pleased with the outcome,” Hyppolite said. Hyppolite said she hopes the team can play better for the bowl game. “I feel like we play really sloppy sometimes, but I think we can do well at the bowl game,” Hyppolite said. “We have a lot of talent on our team and I think they can put it together.”
Instead of Lord Christopher Patten, Rev. Ray Hammond will deliver Notre Dame’s 169th Commencement address May 18, the University announced today in a press release.Patten had to cancel his scheduled speech at Notre Dame, as well as several other engagements for health reasons, vice president for public affairs and communications Paul Browne told The Observer.Hammond, a Philadelphia native, is the founder of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Boston and was announced in March as an honorary degree recipient for this year’s ceremony.“We are disappointed that Lord Patten will be unable to join us and will keep him in our prayers,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release. “At the same time, we are delighted and grateful that Rev. Ray Hammond has accepted our invitation to address the class of 2014.“His life’s story and work are an inspiration, and I know he will provide our graduates with a powerful address.”Browne said Jenkins’ personal interactions with Hammond played a role in the decision.“Fr. John had met [Hammond] personally and was impressed with his spiritual demeanor as well as his life’s accomplishments and thought he would deliver a powerful message to the students,” Browne said.Hammond entered Harvard University as a 15-year-old, earned his bachelor’s degree at 19 and his medical degree at 23, according to the release. He worked as a doctor before turning to ministry in 1976 and earned a Master of Arts degree in the Study of Religion (Christian and Medical Ethics) at Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in 1982, the release said.Hammond served as the former chair of the Boston Foundation and founder and chairman of the Ten Point Coalition, which the release described as “an ecumenical group of Christian clergy and lay leaders behind Boston’s successful efforts to quell gang violence in the 1990s.”He also has served as executive director of Bethel’s Generation Excel program, executive committee member of the Black Ministerial Alliance, chair of the Boston Opportunity Agenda and a member of the Strategy Team for the Greater Boston Interfaith Organization, the release said. Beyond that, he is a trustee of the Yawkey Foundation, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation and the Math and Technology Charter High School.Tags: Commencement, Commencement Speaker, Graduation
Steven L. Benoit, 68, of Hillister died Monday, Oct. 17, 2016. Clayton Thompson Funeral Directors, Groves.Homer Austin Baxter, 61, of Beaumont died Friday, Oct. 14, 2016. Broussard’s, McFaddin Avenue, Beaumont. Bruce C. Johnson, 64, of Beaumont died Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016. Gabriel Funeral Home. Death notices Services todayDelores J. Hebert, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Beaumont, 2 p.m.
Place plastic over the mixture and allow to cook for weeks or you can plant in it right away.Sandra planted in the garden right away as an experiment thinking it would never work. To her surprise, it did!After harvesting your garden for one season, add more layers for the next season. Newspaper is not added again.Thanks, Sandra, for helping us learn this tried and true technique! Scrolling through Facebook last week resulted in information from a newspaper posting describing a quick way to start an easy garden without having to dig up soil.It explained that you could place multiple layers of wet newspaper down on grass or weeds, place transplants on top of the wet newspaper and then spread soil over the whole thing.In Southeast Texas, the following proven garden technique works. It is called lasagna gardening. Reach Jefferson County Master Gardener Eileen Slater at [email protected] or call Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service at 409-835-8461. Sandra Hoke, a volunteer from Shangri La Gardens and an Orange County Master Gardener, graciously shared this information with our master gardener group last year about making a lasagna garden.She provided us with 10 steps. I added step No. 1. According to Sandra, there’s still time to build your lasagna garden now for the fall.To make a lasagna garden, begin by selecting a sunny site with at least 6-8 hours of sunlight. Place cinder blocks, untreated landscape timbers or a rope to mark the area. A good height is 2 cinder blocks high or 2 timbers high.Stomp down grass and weeds. No need to pull weeds or grass. Apply six to eight thick layers of wet Refrain from using any shiny colored newspaper. Cardboard is used as a base layer if you have a hard time getting rid of weeds.Peat moss goes on top of the wet newspaper because it holds in the moisture. Completely cover the newspaper with the peat moss.Sprinkle compost from your compost pile or buy it by the bag.Sprinkle composted manure from horses, cows or chickens onto the lasagna garden.Sprinkle coffee grounds as the next layer.Tear up newspaper or use shredded paper from the paper shredder.Place compost over the shredded or torn paper so it will not blow away.Spread leaves over the compost.Add bone meal like parmesan cheese tops a lasagna.Lastly water, water, water the pile. The pile should now be around 12 inches tall.Sawdust from a carpenter’s shop and wood ash from your fireplace can also be added to this garden.
The city of Port Arthur has announced times and dates for early voting for the two City Council runoff races. Former Councilman Willie “Bae” Lewis Jr. is running against Ingrid West Holmes in District 1, and Raymond Scott Jr. is taking on the Rev. Donald Ray Frank Sr. for the at-large Position 8 set.Scott is presently District 1 councilman, but has reached term limits at that position.Early voting will be conducted at the Port Arthur Public Library, 4615 Ninth Ave., and Port Arthur City Hall, 444 Fourth St., during these times:Dec. 2-4, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.Dec. 7-9, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.Dec. 10, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.Dec. 11, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.Dec. 14, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.Dec. 15, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.Election day for the runoff is Dec. 19. Votes will be canvassed Dec. 30.
Related The International Triathlon Union (ITU) has opened bidding for the 2016 ITU World Paratriathlon Events to all National Federations and cities interested in hosting the premier races next year.“Next year will be a pinnacle year for the sport of paratriathlon, as athletes race to qualify for the Paralympic Games for the very first time,” said ITU President and IOC Member Marisol Casado. “Hosting a World Paratriathlon Event offers cities the opportunity to view these inspirational athletes just months before they hit the international stage in Rio.”In preparation for paratriathlon’s debut at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Paralympic Games, ITU offers elite competition for paratriathletes of all sport classes at World Paratriathlon Events around the world. Paratriathletes gain points at each race to qualify for berths to the World Championship, which is held in conjunction with the ITU World Triathlon Series Grand Final.World Paratriathlon Events are held on every continent, and the events hosted until 30 June 2016 will become especially important as they will offer 2016 Rio de Janeiro Paralympic Games qualification points.Cities interested in hosting a World Paratriathlon Event must submit bid documents in conjunction with their respective National Federations.www.triathlon.org
Gophers baseball readies for MLB draftLucas Gilbreath, Brian Glowicki, Micah Coffey and others are expected to go in the MLB draft, which starts on Monday.Courtney DeutzJunior Toby Hanson throws the ball back to pitcher Brett Schulze during the Gopher’s game against Illinois on Saturday, April 29, 2017 at Siebert Field. Jack WarrickJune 12, 2017Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintSeveral Gophers baseball players could get their names called at the 2017 MLB Draft.Left-handed pitcher Lucas Gilbreath, third baseman Micah Coffey, outfielder Alex Boxwell, second baseman Luke Pettersen are all juniors who could be drafted. First baseman Toby Hanson, outfielder Jordan Smith, pitcher Brian Glowicki and pitcher Toby Anderson are all seniors who are possible picks. The first two rounds will start Monday, rounds three through 10 will be on Tuesday and the final 30 rounds will be on Wednesday.The team will change depending on which players get selected. Assistant coach Rob Fornasiere said the team is waiting to see what happens. “If it breaks right for us, we could certainly have a lot of people come back and have an outstanding ball club next year,” Fornasiere said. “On the other hand, we could get wiped out.”Gilbreath is expected to be the first Minnesota player picked in the draft. He was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 36th round in 2014 as a senior in high school. This year, he is expected to go in the second day of the draft, according to Baseball America. Gilbreath spent three years with the Gophers and finished his junior season with a 2.66 ERA.“I was pretty excited in high school. I wanted to go to the U of M,” Gilbreath said. “I was excited to play for them, and along with getting my education, that was a big step for me and something that was important to me. Luckily, it worked out.”Coffey, another junior, is expected to be drafted during the second or third day of the 40-round draft, Twins Daily reported. Coffey was an all-Big Ten second team honoree with a .340 batting average this year.“I’ve sat through and watched [MLB Drafts], just waiting on my teammates names to be called, in hopes that one day I might have a chance,” Coffey said. “But this might be the first time that I might hear my name called.”Glowicki, the senior closer from Illinois, is another possible draft pick. Glowicki broke the Gophers’ program record for most saves in a season this year with 16. He posted a 2.20 ERA as well. “Baseball has always been there for me,” Glowicki said. “It’d be a dream come true, given I got drafted.”Smith and Anderson are the two other senior Gophers who may get their names called in the later rounds of the draft, according to Twins Daily.Smith, an outfielder, started 56 games this year, putting up a .309 batting average and making the Big Ten All-Tournament Team.Anderson had a 6-5 record pitching this year, getting 37 strikeouts in the process.Three other juniors have a chance at making it into the draft. Hanson, Boxwell and Pettersen could go in the later rounds.Hanson, had a .319 batting average this year and also made the all-Big Ten third team. Boxwell, an outfielder from Coon Rapids, Minnesota, had a .253 batting average with 6 home runs this year. Pettersen led the team with his batting average of .354 this year. Four Gophers were selected in last year’s draft and three were selected in 2015.The team will also lose eight seniors to graduation.Minnesota players will wait until the draft ends June 14 to see how many teammates they lose and whether their name is called. “It’s all up in the air,” Coffey said. “You’re given the opportunity to play professional baseball, so you’re probably going to take that opportunity when it comes calling,” he said.
On Monday morning, President Trump made his first televised statement about the mass murders committed over the weekend in El Paso, Tex., and Dayton, Ohio. He called for action to “stop mass killings before they start,” citing what he said were a number contributing factors: the contagious nature of mass murder; the glorification of violence in video games; and the need to act on “red flags” to identify and potentially confine the “mentally ill monsters” that he said commit the crimes. The results of studies attempting to clarify the relationship between violent video games and aggression have been mixed, with experts deeply divided on the findings. A just-published analysis of the research to date concludes that “in the vast majority of settings, violent video games do increase aggressive behavior” — but that “these effects are almost always quite small.” Read the whole story: The New York Times …