July 2019

The Missions US Post Office gets a new flagpole

first_img Subscribe to Mission Local’s daily newsletter Chuck Crane, 80, and his crew replaced the flagpole on the U.S. Post Office at 23rd and South Van Ness streets Sunday afternoon. Crane installs flagpoles from the Oregon border to Bakersfield. He and his crew are, as it says on his truck, “the flagpole people.”The post office’s old flagpole was fabricated 60 years ago by L. Ph. Bolander & Sons, a San Francisco company established in 1881 and still run by the Bolander family. They had the only lathe in Northern California that could have made the 16-foot Douglas fir flagpole, according to Crane.Crane said he named his business ANC so it’d be listed ahead of Bolander in the phone book, but insists the two businesses are on friendly terms. Crane has been in business for a mere 49 years.The old flagpole is removed from the roof of the Mission post office (23rd Street). Photo by Jay Martin. In the middle of the job, a crew member lowered a rope from the roof. Crane deftly tied a wrench to the end and jokingly called the knot a firefighter’s half-hitch. Firefighters use an uncomplicated knot that is easy to untie in the smoke, he said.Crane was a firefighter in the Pittsburg-Antioch area who retired after an injury. He helped fight the Oakland Hills fire in 1991; after that, he wouldn’t take his crane business to construction jobs in the Oakland Hills. “I can’t make money on other people’s misery,” he said.On Sunday, while wildfires burned in Redding and ideologies clashed in Berkeley, everything was ordinary at the corner of South Van Ness and 23rd Street in San Francisco. A flagpole wore out, a professional replaced it, and on Monday morning a postal worker would raise the U.S. flag over a U.S. post office and deliver mail.What happened to the old flagpole? Chuck Crane asked me whether I wanted it. After telling me its history, he didn’t seem to want to cut it up. I didn’t want to say no. I said I knew a park it might go to someday. Full disclosure: The old flagpole is currently in my backyard.The new flagpole on the Mission post office. Photo by Jay Martin. center_img Email Address,0%last_img read more

Read More

JON Wilkin says the Challenge Cup is steeped in hi

first_imgJON Wilkin says the Challenge Cup is steeped in history and tradition and he can’t wait to savour more of it this Saturday.Saints take on Leeds at Headingley with a Quarter Final spot in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup at stake.“I think the draw is great, it’s a good one,” he said. “It is a big visible moment on TV for the brand of St Helens. We are a successful club, known nationally, and it will be in front of the big TV audience. These are the games we want to play in.“I’d rather play Leeds in a big game rather than a lesser opposition and gliding through. We had to beat all the top four or five teams in 2004 to win it and I thought that was always how you had to do it.“The Cup has something no other competition it has. It has history and tradition. When you play in it you tread a path so many great players have done before. The Grand Final doesn’t have that.“Six years is too long to wait for success. At Saints we have ambitions to win something every year. We haven’t been miles off, but being close isn’t good enough. It would be a good year to go and do that. The squad here is good and two losses over Easter doesn’t change that.”Wilkin was suspended when Saints beat Leeds 14-10 earlier this season but says this Saturday’s game will be a completely different story.“We played well last time and the young guys did really well. Leeds were conservative though and I know what Leeds are like in big games. We need to be ready for that.”Ticket details for the tie can be found here.last_img read more

Read More

Justin Holbrooks men are just a point behind the

first_imgJustin Holbrook’s men are just a point behind the top four and a win would take them third on the ladder.But they take on an in-form Tigers that are yet to be beaten at home.“To draw Cas first up is as tough as you can get,” he said. “They are sitting first too but it is a game we are looking forward to. I am are happy with how we are playing and I’m looking forward to a tough game on Thursday.“We have clawed ourselves back into the mix and had to win three in a row to do that. We aren’t there just yet but we are in striking distance. We know if we win our games we will make the semis. A few weeks ago it was ifs and buts so it is encouraging and gives us a lot of confidence heading into this period.“Cas have been the form side and play a great style. It is really well structured too but people don’t realise that. They all know what they are doing and have been doing that from pre-season. They all know their roles and how they play.“They are a gutsy team too as they have won some close ones recently.“I am looking forward to the boys playing them on Thursday. We have improved a lot as a team and it will be a good game. They have been streets ahead of others but we have fought our way into the second best points for and against and that is a positive for our team. We will keep working hard and if we can get a win it puts us in a good spot.“I have real confidence in our defence and it has to be right for the whole game. The way we are playing I feel we have a good chance.”Holbrook says Matty Smith has an outside chance of featuring this Thursday after suffering that horrific eye injury against Leeds in June.Luke Douglas, however, will miss out.“Matty is going really well and is in full training,” Justin added. “He has an outside chance of playing and we will have to see how he goes this week.“Danny (Richardson) has been playing great and has combined with Theo (Fages) really well. He delivered for us against Wakefield and there is no reason he won’t stay there if Matty gets cleared and is right to play.“He (Matty) has to earn it – but he is a quality player as well. It is a good luxury to have.“Luke picked up an injury against Wakefield so will miss a few games with a knee injury. He suffered it early in the match but played on.”Tickets for the clash remain on sale from the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, by calling 01744 455 052 or online here.2017 Members can access free coach travel too – but places are limited.last_img read more

Read More

Wilmington store becomes company milestone for Dollar General

first_img The company will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday. The first 500 adult customers will receive a $10 Dollar General gift card and a goodie bag.There will also be vendor giveaways and complimentary donuts and coffee that morning followed by hot dogs and sodas for lunch.The company also plans to present $15,000 in community donations in support of literacy initiatives. The money will be divided among Lake Forest Academy, Mary Howe Pre-K, Sunset Park Elementary, Williston Middle and the International School at Gregory.Related Article: Archer Daniels Midland eliminates some jobs at Southport facilityWilmington Mayor Bill Saffo as well as Dollar General’s CEO and Executive Vice President of Store Operations will speak at the ceremony.This store is also Dollar General’s 800th in North Carolina. Dollar General WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – Dollar General is opening its 15,000th store this weekend. A milestone for the company that is being celebrated at a store grand opening in Wilmington.The store is located at 406 Dawson Street.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More

Teen pleads to bringing weapons onto Topsail High School

first_imgPENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — One of the teens accused of bringing weapons onto Topsail High School in May appeared in court Thursday and pleaded guilty.Bryce Sheehan received a 45 day suspended sentence and 12 months supervised probation after pleading to bringing a weapon on educational property.- Advertisement – According to the district attorney’s office, Sheehan can not go onto the premises of any public high school, must remain in counseling, continue on house arrest and monitoring, can’t be left alone, and can not have knives, swords, or weapons.In May, Sheehan’s mother called the Pender County Sheriff’s Office with concerns about a photo her son posted on Instagram. It showed two guns and posed the question, “Which do you think I could do more damage with?”Topsail High, Middle, and Elementary went into lockdown.Related Article: Man shot in leg arrives at Columbus Regional HospitalSheriff deputies rushed to the school and found Sheehan in his car with a knife strapped to his leg and three other knives on him.He did not get into high school with any weapons.Another student, Alan Edwardo, tried to bring a .22 semi-automic rifle onto the campus, allegedly to stop an attack.Edwardo is scheduled to appear in court on September 12.last_img read more

Read More

School bus safety top priority for troopers during Operation Stop Arm

first_img Troopers even brought together fierce rivals: UNC’s Rameses and Duke’s Blue Devil.The competing shades of blue agreed to participate in Operation Stop Arm by creating a Public Service Announcement video.Related Article: Committee begins work with firm to redistrict elementary, middle schoolsAs part of Operation Stop Arm, troopers will ride on school buses and use unmarked patrol cars to monitor bus routes to and from school.“Every child should be afforded a safe means of travel as they attend their respective educational institution,” said Colonel Glenn McNeill Jr., commander of the State Highway Patrol. “While this operation is scheduled to conclude on Friday, our efforts will continue throughout the school year.” School bus stop sign (Photo: Max Pixel) NORTH CAROLINA (WWAY/WTVD) — North Carolina troopers will emphasize school bus safety in a push to keep students safe.North Carolina State Highway Patrol launched Operation Stop Arm Monday. The initiative is a drive to ensure school bus safety is not overlooked.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Read More

Man who killed estranged wife at Wilmington gas station up for parole

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A New Hanover County man who stabbed his wife to death in 1987 is up for parole.James Tidwell, 63, stabbed Mavies Tidwell at least 21 times in front of witnesses at a gas station on College Road.- Advertisement – On the morning of the murder, James Tidwell told a neighbor that he had caught his wife with another man the night before and was going to kill her. The couple had been separated for three months at the time.A cashier at the gas station said Mavies Tidwell, who had her youngest child with her, drove up to the cashier’s booth and said she was being harassed by a man and that the police should be called.James Tidwell pulled up, got into a confrontation with his wife, started beating her, and then stabbed her multiple times.Related Article: Deputies: South Carolina man high on meth suffocates 7-month-old girlJames Tidwell then went to church and told his pastor he had killed his wife. Tidwell remained at the church until law enforcement arrived.In 1988, Tidwell was found guilty of first degree murder and sentenced to life in prison. The state’s current sentencing law eliminates parole for crimes committed on or after October 1, 1994, but Tidwell was found guilty under previous sentencing guidelines.last_img read more

Read More

British choir to perform for 29th anniversary of Pope John Paul visit

first_img SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> Credit: Brecon Cathedral ChoirCredit: Brecon Cathedral Choir A choir from the United Kingdom will be performing as part commemorations of the 29th anniversary of Pope Saint John Paul II’s visit to Malta and Gozo.The Brecon Cathedral Choir from Wales is set to perform two concerts, the first on Monday at 7.30PM at St. Anthony of Padua Church Għajnsielem, Gozo and the second on Tuesday at 7.00pm at the Our Lady of Sorrow Parish Church St. Paul’s Bay in Malta.The choir is understood to have been set up in 2003 and is made up of between 14 and 18 choristers. Among them are performers between the ages of 8 and 13, who sing the Soprano or Treble. The youth of the choir are also joined by adults and teens who provide the alto, tenor and bass of the choir. They are referred to as Lay Clerks and Choral Scholars.A spokesperson for the JP2 Foundation explained that the commemoration this year prepares the ground for next year’s celebration of the Centenary of Pope John Paul’s birth and his 30th anniversary of his visit to the Maltese islands.The public is invited to attend. You can also view the poster for the event hereWhatsApplast_img read more

Read More

Photos Poison scattered in a playing field

first_img FB: RUBS Puppy Love FB: RUBS Puppy LoveFB: RUBS Puppy Love Poison has been scattered in a playing field in Paola. Photos showing the poison were uploaded on a popular Facebook group, with the individual claiming that the poison was placed with the intention of killing animals by an unknown person or people.The poison does not only pose a threat to pets, stray cats or dogs, but also children, since it is in a playing field. Some of it was seen mashed with pet food.Many have expressed their anger, with some urging for a police report to be filed. Others commented that similar scenes could be seen in Birkirkara. WhatsApp FB: RUBS Puppy Love SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> 1 of 4 FB: RUBS Puppy Love FB: RUBS Puppy Lovelast_img read more

Read More

South Africa Vodacom Empowers Youth With ICT Skills

first_imgAdvertisement Vodacom South Africa has embarked on a drive to help empower unemployed youth with ICT skills training in a bid to help tackle skills development and job creation within the information and communications technology (ICT) sector.Through its Mobile Education programme in partnership with Cisco and MICT-Seta Vodacom kicked-off a youth development project at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU), Port Elizabeth. The partnership aims to train unemployed youth in ICT skills and to further develop them into ICT entrepreneurs.“This is Vodacom’s contribution towards the creation of skills development and job creation opportunities for unemployed youth. It is premised on concept that the more skilled the youth are, the greater their opportunity for employment. We know that Cisco technical skills are some of the most sought after skills in the ICT industry” Vodacom Chief Officer: Corporate Affairs, Maya Makanjee saidThe training will impart skills in A+, N+ and 3G connectivity for a period of six months. The project will train and develop 15 ICT entrepreneurs in each of the nine Vodacom ICT resource centre situated in all the provinces. The total number of trainees will be 135. All participants’ stipend and accommodation will be paid for by Vodacom. On entrepreneurial skills, the training will run for a period of six months and will focus on empowering the youth with business skills. – Advertisement – The Vodacom youth skills development project focuses in particular on helping nurture skills needed in the ICT industry, with the potential for beneficiaries to be offered practical experience that will include projects such as ICT installation in schools, providing connectivity in schools and rural areas. Trainees will also be used in the technical support for the schools that are part of the Vodacom Mobile Education programme.Credit: IT News Africa.last_img read more

Read More